Wednesday, August 19, 2015

School

Before I talk about school I want to talk about a girl I met a couple of weeks ago.  She is 7 and she has bi-lateral implants.  Her parents wanted us to meet.  We had an instant connection when she realized that I have a cochlear implant and I know how to sign.   We were able to have a full conversation in ASL.  It was so cute to see her sign and talk.  I am glad I was able to meet her and be a role model for her.  Meeting her also solidified my goal of becoming a speech therapist that works with kids with cochlear implants.



Ok, now on to school.  Today was my first day of school.  I am a senior at Lone Peak High School (a public school).   I haven't always gone to a public school.  I attended the school for the deaf for preschool and kindergarten.  When I was in first grade I went half day to a public school and then the second half I went to the school for the deaf.  I went to a charter school 2nd grade through 8th grade. My mom chose to send me to a charter school because it had smaller class sizes and each teacher had a teacher aide. In 9th grade I went to a local public junior high because I wanted a better transition into high school.  

I do great in a public school, however, I do need to sit in front of the classroom.  I prefer to sit in the front because it is easier to hear the teacher, I can read the teachers lips, and I can turn around and read my classmates lips when they say something.  

In order to be successful I need to have the teacher facing me when they talk.  I struggle to hear when they are writing on the whiteboard (I can't see their lips).  It is also hard when the teacher is walking around the room.  I have to turn to face them wherever they go.  It is also hard to hear when kids around me are talking and being noisy.  Another situation where it is hard to hear is when a student makes a comment and I can't hear them.  I love it when the teacher repeats what the student said.  It helps a lot!  Another challenging situation is when we watch a video in class.  Often times the teachers tell us to take notes or we have an assignment that goes along with the video.  I need closed captions when I watch movies, and often times the video doesn't have them.  It can get really frustrating.  I try my hardest and then I ask a friend for some help.  Another challenging situation that I can think of is assemblies.  I really hate assemblies.  I just can't hear at assemblies, not one bit.  It is always super loud and I can't hear when they are practically yelling in the microphone.  Announcements are another thing that are impossible to understand.  I can't do any lipreading and the announcements are muffled anyway.  Luckily, my school posts the announcements on the school website, so if I want to know something, I check there.  

On back to school night I went to all of my teachers and told them that I am deaf.  I told them that I need to sit in the front, I need them to keep the noise level down, and that I need closed captions for videos.  I love it when teachers are nice about it.  I like it when they remember and they are aware of me.  Some teachers really make an effort to help me and I really appreciate it.  

I am a hard working student.  I have a 4.0 GPA.  I am enjoying high school and I'm looking forward to college.  School can be very challenging, but I make it work. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm just so grateful for your blog. Your posts give me great insight into what it is and will be like for my 5 year old daughter. (She has a severe bilateral hearing loss. She just got her first cochlear implant a few weeks ago!) Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and for taking the time to write.

    ReplyDelete